Birkinshaw to take on the Wainwrights
Top fell and mountain marathon man Steve Birkinshaw is to set his sights on one of the longest and toughest fell records this summer, as the Cumbria-based runner attempts The Wainwrights, 214 peaks, taking in 511km with 36000m of ascent!
On the attempt page he writes:
The current record for a continuous route of all 214 tops is held by the legendary Joss Naylor at 7 days 1 hour and 25 minutes. Hopefully I can get close to or beat this time, but there are so many things that can go wrong over this sort of distance that I have no idea what will happen and how fast I can go. All I can do is have a go and see how long it takes.
Steve has a very impressive CV…
- 7 times elite winner of KIMM/OMM
- 10 elite wins in other Mountain Marathons
- Winner of Dragon’s Back Race 2012 (200 mile race along the length of Wales
- 6th fastest Bob Graham Round (17:09)
- Winner of Lakeland 100
- Winner of Lake District Mountain Trial
… and with a fair wind and some good fitness we think the Threlkeld man should get close.